Mexicans knew it all along …. the world followed it through !! Avocado is a gift from Mexico to us all !! They are considered to be the “Food for Gods” and rightly too !!
Avocados are rich in nutritive value, high in vitamins, minerals and fibre. This nutritous fruit has managed to come out of masterchef/ resturant kitchens into the kitchens around the world and for the right reasons. It is the most versatile fruit. Used in salads, smoothies, spreads, dips, cosmetics etc, etc. It has become the number one ingredient for weight watchers around the world.
I have penned a simple ” Guacamole” ( avocado spread) recipe which can be used to replace butter/margarine on your morning toast !! Good fats and fibre present in avodavos help keep you fuller for a longer amount of time. It is a tasty way to remain guilt free all morning !!
The benefits of Avocado are endless. I have tried to pen few of them here and I feel these are reasons enough to get this incredible fruit to be present in your grocery list forever !!
- Heart Healthy – A good source of MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acid – read – Good cholesterol) which increases the good cholesterol and helping in reducing the bad cholestrol in the body; making it heart healthy.
- Healthy Skin & Bones – Essential vitamins like C, A, K, B12, B6 etc present in avocados make it effacacious for healthy skin and bones. Beneficail for people suffering from osteoarthritis as well.
- Aids Digestion – Soothing effects of avocado lines the stomach walls and reduces acidity and the dietary fibre contributes almost 40% of daily requirement which further aids digestion and relieves constipation.
- Dental Care – It acts as your dentist. Flavonoids present in avocados kill bacteria causing bad breath.
- Improved Vision – It contains carotenoids which helps protect eyes against cataracts and other age related eye diseases.
- Morning Sickness – Pregnant women can include avocado in their breakfast and bid good-bye to their morning sickness as B6 present in avocado is connected in reducing nausea and vomiting.
- Weight Management – Although avocado tends to be on the higher side of calorie chart, the fats present in it are not the same of that of butter or margarine. It is unsaturated fat which will not add inches to your waistline and will keep you healthy.
Now that I have bragged about Avocado enough and expressed my love for the fruit, Lets get cooking … when making in this case…. No cooking required…..
2 Medium sized Ripe Avocados
2 Tbsp finely chopped Onion
2 Tbsp Finely Chopped de-seeded tomatoes
1 Garlic clove minced
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
a pinch of salt
1 Tsp Lime juice
1 green chilli finely chopped
Some fresh chopped coriander
- Scoop out the avocado pulp into a mixing bowl.
- Add salt,pepper and lime juice and mash the pulp to desired consistency. I like it chunky. Its fun to have a bite to this spread.
- Mix Onions, tomato, green chill, garlic and salt. Serve immediately.
Bon Appetite !!