Upma comes from southern part of India. It is made with Semolina / Rava which is nothing but coarsely ground ( tiny or medium big ) wheat or rice. Rava is believed to be nutritious. It contains carbohydrates, fiber, fat, protein, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, sodium, etc….. With so many nutritive qualities, this hero ingredient is wisely used to make “Upma” which is a breakfast preparation made all over India and also Sri Lanka.
There are many variations to this dish. Often vegetables are added to the preparation. Today’s recipe is dedicated to my Maa !! She made this upma for us every sunday and she used tomatoes in her recipe. Thanks a ton Maa for this humble but great recipe.
Upma can be made under 20 mins. A great breakfast dish which is delicious enough to keep a wide smile on your family’s face for a long time…. as it is filling. Excellent food for those watching their weight as it keeps you full for longer time.
Happy Cooking !
1/2 small sized Onion finely, chopped
1/2 Medium sized Tomato, chopped
1 Green Chilli cut in rounds
A sprig of Curry Leaves
1/2 TSP Mustard Seeds / Rai
1/2 TSP Asafoetida / Hing
1/2 cup Rava / Semolina
1 Tbsp Oil
3 cups Hot water
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.
2. Add mustard seeds and hing to the hot oil. Let is crackle for a bit. This removes any rawness present in the spices.
3. Add curry leaves, green chillies and onions and saute until onions have soften. A pinch of salt can be added at this stage as it accelerates the process of cooking.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for couple of minutes.
5. Add semolina/ Rava and saute well.
6. Roast the mix on lowest flame until all the tomato juice has been absorbed into semolina/ Rava.
7. Add hot water gently and carefully. It will splatter.
8. Cover and cook on low flame until all the water is absorbed. Rava will be cooked and quantity should increase if not doubled. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander. Serve hot .