Panki ……. Sounds exotic isn’t it….. almost like some Japanese fish preparation…. But its not…. Its more local… More nearer than you would like to think…… And miles away from a fish…
Panki is a Gujarati snack made usually by cooking rice flour batter in between banana leaf.
Gujratis don’t always make everything sweet and fried unlike the popular and oh so flawed belief… Gujjus rock this dish the way they rock “Pankhida” during Navratri nights……. Indian natives would know what’s “Pankhida” 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Cooking in Banana leaf adds medicinal properties to the food. It is said that cooking and eating in banana leaf not only gives flavour to the dish but also aids digestion and helps curb acidity. Our ancestors had it all figured out isn’t it !!!!… Also, serving food in banana leaf adds aromatic and visual appeal to the dish. This dish is gluten free and can for sure pass as a low calorie snack.
Trick to this dish is getting the batter consistency right… Rest is simple.. Rice flour should be freshly ground for best results. Water required to thin the batter will depend on the quality of the rice flour.. make sure it’s runny but coats the back of the spoon and you are sorted. Fermentation should be allowed for atleast 8 hours or else pankis will stick to the leaves..
These taste best when hot and served with green chutney and chaas !
2 cups Rice flour
1/2 cup sour curd
1 tbsp Ginger and green chilli paste
2 tsp Jeera / cumin seeds
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Salt to taste
Water as per requirement.
1. Take a big bowl and add all the ingredients and keep adding water till the batter coats the back of the spoon but is at the same time runny as well.
2. Keep it in a warm place for 8 to 10 hours
3. Cut banana leaves in several square pieces and wash and wipe clean. Lightly coat them with oil.
4. Pour a small ladle of batter on the leaf and spread the batter to form a thin pancake . Cover with another leaf .
5. Heat a pan and put the prepared leaf on the pan. Cover and let it cook. When brown spots start appearing , toss it to the other side, this time don’t cover the pan with the lid. Each side will cook in about 2 mins.
6. Serve as is with green chutney and chaas.